We will not have a class in March because of the RS Birthday party that week.
April’s class will be held on 17th at 10am at the church. We will have the nursery open again, so you can come even if you have little ones with you! We will have a taste test of a few different recipes that day.
Our theme for the month is Breakfast… i am looking for your awesome family recipes for things you like to make for breakfast. I hope to cover the following ideas:
Casseroles, energy bars, smoothies and shakes, pancakes, waffles, crepes, french toast, muffins, cereals, granola, sandwiches, and skillet meals.
See you then.
February 2013- Freezer Meals
Freezer Meal Tips: http://www.oneshetwoshe.com/2010/10/freezer-meals-tips-for-dummies.html
Freezing and food safety tips: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_freezing/index.asp
White Chicken Chili
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1/2 -2 cups cooked chicken (I usually use an oven-baked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to save on time), shredded
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 box (32 ounces) chicken broth
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 lime, juice
- Place the onion, shreds of chicken, Great Northern Beans, corn, green chilies (with juice from can), cumin and oregano to the pot. Stir to combine all of the ingredients and then add the chicken broth.
- Place in crock pot, simmer on low for 6 hours. Add salt and pepper (to taste) and juice from one whole lime. (You can add 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro if you desire. I personally don’t like cilantro so I serve it as a side.)
- Serve with sour cream, chopped cilantro, shredded Pepper Jack cheese, avocado or tortilla chips.
- 1 chicken taco seasoning packet or use your own homemade seasoning
- 6 frozen tenderloins or 3 frozen breasts (use fresh too and it takes 2-3 hours less)
- 2 c fresh pico de gallo
- ¼ c of olive oil
- ¼ c water
- Take 1 chicken taco seasoning packet or use your own homemade seasoning and cover the bottom of the crockpot
- Lay 6 frozen tenderloins or 3 frozen breasts on top of the seasoning.
- Take cover chicken with pico. We use our store’s hot variety fresh pico but, do adjust for your palate. You can use a can of Rotel, salsa or make your own, but fresh almost always tastes better.
- Pour the olive oil and water over the top of everything. Do not stir.
- If frozen should take 6 hours on high, fresh less time.
- Shred chicken and then put back in crockpot for 30 minutes.
- Serve on tortillas with sour cream, cheese and a squeeze of lime.
- 1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- Salt and pepper
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and cubes
- 3/4 cup peas (I use frozen)
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- Naan, to serve with
1. In slow-cooker, combine all ingredients except rice. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, until potatoes are cooked through and tender.
2. About 30 minutes before cooking time is over, prepare rice according to package directions. Serve with naan, over warm rice and enjoy!
3. Gails note: I put in a can of coconut milk after cooking, I liked the flavor.
1 lb cubed beef stew meat 1 can condensed cream mushroom soup 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup water 4 oz cream cheese
1. Place all ingredients except the cream cheese in a crock pot. 2. Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 5 hours. 3. Stir in the cream cheese just before serving.
4. Gails note: I prefer my stroganoff to be very creamy…. so I added sour cream as well in the end until it was creamy enough.
Layered Chicken Enchiladas
1 1/2 – 2 cup cooked, shredded chicken
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (15 oz)
1 can black beans, drained (15oz)
1 tub Santé Fe Blend Philadelphia Cooking Crème (or 8 oz cream cheese mixed with 5oz salsa verde or green enchilada sauce)
2 cup shredded cheese
3 flour tortillas (I used 6 inch)
1. Mix the chicken, tomatoes, beans, and cooking crème in a bowl. Combine well.
2. Place a 1/3 cup mixture on bottom of a pie plate or 8X8 freezer pan. I buy the foil ones. Top with 1 flour tortilla.
3. Top tortilla with chicken mixture and cheese. Repeat layers and end with chicken mixture on top and top with last bit of cheese.
4. Double wrap in heavy aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Label.
Cooking Instructions: Thaw and bake uncovered at 350 degrees 30- 45 minutes or until heated through.
Other freezer meal sites to visit: